Monday, August 26, 2013

I Feel What You Saw Him Say...

I don't know about you but I am a strong visual type of person. So, seeing stuff (a.k.a. a mess) around, it negatively stimulates me.

This is a trigger with a two year old, but I digress.

This blog isn't about my messy or clean house. It is about the three types of people. Yes, you are one of three.

You are, primarily, either a visual, auditory or kinesthetic person. Or really, a mix of these three.

How do you know which one? Well, what words do you use most? How do you relate to the world? How do you learn best?

Visuals, like me, tend to have strong visual memories, see things quickly and phrase things with visual terms.

I am such a strong visual, I can tell you what people were wearing when I last saw them. I know, it's creepy, especially to all you auditory and kinesthetic folks.

As a visual I also usually say, "I see what you mean". And, in part I do as I picture scenes in my mind as I read or hear them.

If you are more auditory, you pick up on sounds quickly and relate to the world more with sound and learn well by listening.

Visual people do well with pictures, but might not do as well in a lecture as the auditory person would. Auditory folks love lectures, books on tape and speak with auditory words. They might say, "I hear what you are saying".

Notice, these two types communicate differently. This can create communication issues, but usually not big ones. But, let's throw in the kinesthetic folks.

Kinesthetics are more rare. They are the feelers. I don't mean strictly emotionally, but that is part of it. They like to feel things.

These are the people that chew on pens and feel fabrics in stores because they like how they feel. Or, they won't touch something because of how it makes them feel.

They can feel strongly emotionally, but primarily, feel and touch their way around the world.

Kinesthetic folks also speak in feeling terms. They might say, "I feel like this is going to be a good day" or "I feel good about that".

These kinesthetic people learn by doing. They don't want to hear it or see it, they want to do it. They like the hands on experience.

Just to complicate matters, everyone has at least a little of each of these, but in different measures. You might be a strongly auditory person with a secondary visual and tertiary kinesthetic bent.

Or, a strong kinesthetic with some visual and auditory traits. We all have a bit of each, but knowing which you are most strongly helps.

It also helps to know which type the  person you are relating to is. If your your spouse, boss, student or customer is a visual person and you are an auditory person, you should try to "speak their language" and use visual terms and pictures.

This is especially true for teachers, sales engineers, and yes even writers. As you communicate, choosing the right communication method can make or break the communication.

Let's take word problems for example. Oh yes, my arch enemy. 

If you start teaching a visual or kinesthetic person by saying, "train A..."

Well, you lost me (a strong visual) already. I want to see the train. The kinesthetic wants to feel the train. The auditory student; however, said 10. That is the answer right?

So, pay attention today or tomorrow as you interact with people. What words do they use? It is a tip to their style. If you also determine your style you might be able to edit your output to assist with the other person's needed input.

Give the kinesthetic a model of the plans. Show the visual a picture. Or, tell the auditory kid in the second row a story.

So, listen to me show you how I feel about it.

It could make all the difference.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this post! At the beginning, I totally thought I was a visual learner . . . and I may have some of that. But by the end of your article, I can see how much of a kinesthetic learner I am. Thanks for the insight!

    ReplyDelete